Wednesday 2 September 2009

Keeping the Hinges Oiled

I preface this entry by saying I am not donning the irritating cape of self-righteousness when I speak of the best ways to live life. My words are intended to help with bettering lifestyles, using what we have been given. If you're like me, money, time, and energy are all in short supply.

As I am the Queen of the realms of Downtime and Laziness, I’ve come to the conclusion that spending what free time I have in front of the television or computer and generally being mindless is causing my brain to slowly corrode. I can’t seem to let go of either, however-- I’ve been sucked into the addictive maws of CSI and Burn Notice and about five other shows.

I’ve sold my soul to media, as I’m sure many of us have.

I’ve found a solution, however-- there are countless preachy articles and informative pieces available to anyone that has access to Google about the importance of an active lifestyle. I’ll argue that physical activity is necessary to a degree, but giving up the relaxation-time things we love isn’t necessary.

My solution? Knitting. I knit while I watch television or stream Fullmetal Alchemist online (I fully admit to being a nerd). I’ve started making jewelry, just experimenting with beads I had from some kit I received as a birthday gift when I was eight (I fully admit to also being a packrat). In doing these things and pursuing what random interests I’ve had in the course of my life, I’ve found a deep satisfaction in accomplishing something new and creating something useful.

Now I can make an afghan as a gift for someone, with my undivided attention for my television as the main cost. Or I can make jewelry for myself. It’s especially nice to know that I can turn a profit from doing my downtime crafts on websites like Etsy or Ebay.

It doesn’t only extend to making things. I am taking the time to learn guitar properly. As I watch my beloved old movies, I put forth the effort to look up film criticisms and hunt for homages and technical details many people rarely notice. I feel like I’m growing even as I enjoy myself.

The moral of the story is simply that all interests should be nurtured. Excuses like ‘not having the time’ are rarely valid-- what little time is available to these bumblebees is squandered on rot. Interests and learning have a way of paying off later in life, whether you turn a profit from making painted lampshades or you simply can hold your own in an in-depth conversation about quantum physics.

There are never any regrets in trying too much; there will always be regrets in not having done enough. Explore like you’re four or five again-- children have a way of wanting to try anything and everything. Perhaps this bright-eyed outlook is something to emulate (although it’s encumbent upon me to stress that coloring the walls with crayon scribbles is generally not a good idea; toilet training is also a particularly nice, adult thing to maintain). Learn, and it will always be worthwhile.

Related to tonight’s post is also Life Lesson #1.

1 comment:

  1. Another well writen, intelligent, thought provoking article! Keep up the good work, culturespawn!

    xx

    TJ

    ReplyDelete