Friday 7 August 2009

GET OUT: Getty Concert Series


When you live in London for a year, you tend to get a bit jaded. There is so much to do at any given time, and a lot of it costs next to nothing. Museums are free, many events are free... I was dreading not having as much access in Los Angeles to good music, particularly since I can't afford to do much of it... I am, after all, a 'starving' student. London completely drained the coffers, and I am BROKE.

That's why I was surprisingly (and probably disproportionately) excited about the Getty Museum's Saturdays Off the 405. The shows are free, and admission to the Getty is always free, and in the afternoon, so is parking. My pockets have stopped sobbing temporarily, as I fully intend to take a picnic basket when I go. The acts really aren't bad, either; Cut Chemist is one notable performance that has already occurred this summer. Tomorrow's act, The Dodos, are a band I have truthfully heard nothing about; I do like the snippet that the Getty has posted as a sample. Cue a Wikipedia lookup and YouTube screening for this duo...

Anyway, tomorrow's show starts at 6pm. Make a day of it and see some French Revolutionary bronzes while you were there and ponder whether powdered wigs will ever make a comeback. Sprawl out in the sun in that spiffy garden they have. And if you can't make tomorrow's show, they have two more lined up on September 26 and October 10. Artists haven't been announced yet, but it's a good excuse to stop reading blog posts, get some sunshine, and learn some art history (which, contrary to popular belief, is not a completely BS subject).

Find more information on these concerts here.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel,

    I am your biggest fan and wish you lots of luck.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Rachel,

    Your blog is very tasteful and your information about Getty is excellent. Wish you success.

    Norman

    ReplyDelete